Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gratitude is my religion

Join the Gratitude Circle!

I don't believe in much of anything, having grown up an atheist. Religion — of any kind — doesn't make sense to me. Neither does life after death, or the promise of rewards (or punishment) in some place beyond this world. I don't believe in a higher power, a mover and shaker that makes things happen or not happen. I don't believe in prophets or prophecies, or in angels, or in absolute good or absolute evil.

But I do believe in gratitude. I believe it's the single most powerful force we can harness to change the world. It's more powerful than hate, or fear, or even love. Gratitude is what makes a life worth living.

Which is why I love Thanksgiving.

No, we don't celebrate it in Mexico, or here in Curaçao, or pretty much anywhere else in the world other than the U.S. (and Canada, on a different date)—but we should. Actually, we should celebrate it much more often than once a year. Like every day.

We have so much to be grateful. All of us. There is beauty and wisdom and goodness and brilliance in every moment we're alive. Pain and helplessness and disappointment and fear and loss are also blessings; there can be no positive without a negative.

It's so easy to let the big stuff get in the way... It absorbs so much space, so much energy. But the choice is yours. I believe looking at the "big picture" may be a mistake. It's in the small things, the little pleasures and tiny details that surround me, that I've found the greatest joy.

Happy Thanksgiving. Today, and every day.


10 comments :

  1. I love reading what other people are grateful for. I'm an atheist too, and I love the thought of gratitude being my 'religion'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow A! How lovely to meet you, Janine :) Gratitude, as far as "moral codes" or whatever, makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  2. I am not an atheist but I always question and I hope that there is something more after. It could very well be that we must continue to learn and grow and be reborn to do this. I do agree that we always need to be grateful for the smallest gestures or the little things we often take for granted. Yesterday as I sat in my car waiting for it to heat up, I was watching all the little wrens and other birds come to eat the bird seed. They are not colourful but they are so sweet. Let's hope that the Americans who go out tomorrow for their Back Friday continue to remember to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reincarnation seems not just logical but necessary if this is all about evolution... Hardly seems possible to do it all, in terms of wisdom acquisition, in one lifetime. I'm with you on the whole Black Friday thing... Seems so ironic to go on a shopping spree right after giving thanks for all we have, right? But, somehow, it's also so typically human. Watching the birds is much more profitable, I think :) Thanks for the visit, Birgit!

      Delete
  3. Yup, be grateful for the small things. Thanks Guilie. We also do not celebrate Thanksgiving here in SA but right now I'm listening to the radio to what's happening in the shopping malls close-ish by for Black Friday. People are going MAD from the sounds of it. I'm looking out at my pretty garden, a bird of 3 flying by, one at the bird bath, the cats sunning themselves - and a few cups of delicious coffee under my belt ... have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek... Black Friday is something I just can't fathom. The epitome of consumerism, I suppose... and an ugly, ugly thing. Yes, your garden (which I'm reading about in In Praise of Lilith's first essay right now) seems a much worthier source of entertainment and joy :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Susan!

      Delete
  4. Hi Guilie - yes we should celebrate more often, and each and every day in our personal lives. This blogging fraternity is quite good at these sorts of things and I've joined in one or two. Doing our bit to help others in more ways than one is important ... and keeping a cheerful head upon the soul below - always inspires me and seems to keep others happy too!

    We are so lucky with life ... we are educated and we can learn more, we are comfortable with our living and we can achieve ... then we can help others more ... all the best to everyone who reads this - life is wonderful especially when we help others. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, Hilary! Helping others is the only worthy pursuit... How best can we be of service? Not for a reward, earthly or not; not for praise or for atonement or even the simple satisfaction of knowing we've helped, but for the idea that our existence is for the purpose of making someone else's better in some way. And it doesn't have to be a huge thing; sometimes even the gift of a smile to a stranger has impact far beyond what we imagine or can even conceive. It is in serving that we discover our reason for being.

      Thank you so much for coming by, Hilary!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think the small things - and being grateful for them - has more impact on our lives than the big ones. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on gratitude - such a life-changing practice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your caption, "Gratitude is my religion" and yes I do agree with you that Gratitude makes our life worth living; it also makes us happy and positive. Nice to read your post, and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...