Wednesday, December 23, 2015

#BoTB Results: Band Aid vs USA for Africa

So sorry to be late with the results, everyone. It's been crazy days.

I'm still processing this result. Honestly, I expected USA for Africa to win by a landslide. But I'm (very, very) pleased to announce that IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:

Band Aid: 10
Madilyn
John
Janie
Dixie
Gary
Yolanda
Birgit
Hilary
Michele
Robin



USA for Africa: 9

Lee
Holli
Elliptical Man
Cherdo
Stephen
Cathy
Jeffrey
Donna
Mike


And my vote won't make this a tie... I've always loved the Band Aid version beyond all reason. We Are The World, as cool as it was in its moment, didn't stand the test of time for me. Whereas Do They Know It's Christmas makes me tear up every time I hear it.

(And the fact that I actually enjoy tearing up with music makes me... a masochist, I suppose.)

Thus, final result including my vote: Band Aid 11USA for Africa 9.

I loved hearing everyone's take on these songs. Stephen's (and Robin's) comment on how the USA version has more individual participation, and seems generally better distributed, is spot-on. Or, like Hilary said, that the UK started this whole thing for being first. (Bob Geldof is a great human.)

Thanks for coming by to vote and to share your thoughts and your memories on this slightly off-kilter battle :) Thanks, also, for the extraordinary welcome you've given me here in the Battle community. I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas, and I'm looking forward to many more spectacular music face-offs in 2016.

Speaking of 80s flashbacks... For some reason this song is huge here in Curaçao — I imagine via Holland. I'd never even heard it before coming here. So... Merry Christmas, with love from Curaçao :)




If you're not a fan, you'll love this one :D


6 comments :

  1. Tight battle, and I'm okay with being on the losing side. Both songs did what they were supposed to do - help others! Loved it, Guilie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Star Wars inclusion.
    Consolation for me choosing the loser this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a close battle. I've never heard Last Christmas before, but I thought it must be Wham. I'm glad you confirmed it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulously close battle Guilie! I love when that happens. I'm so glad that Band Aid won!!
    I hope you are having a magical Christmas season and that all of the the season's joys are finding you. Merry Christmas my friend! XOXO

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guilie - glad the Brits won!! But both great songs for excellent causes. The two videos are fun too ... have a lovely build up to 2016 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job of pairing up fairly equal choices. Happy New Year!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...