Monday, April 17, 2017

I am shameless... (And I apologize.)

So much for my new year's resolution to not let more than two weeks go by without posting... It's going on 3 months since my last post here, and more than that on the dog blog; it's a wonder I even remember how to. Shame on me.



Much has happened to blog about, and plenty of times I began composing drafts of posts... I just never got around to finishing them before things changed. Again. I got a job, which upended my 'carefully balanced' schedule of dog walks and writing and (at least the intention of) blogging. I've since quit said job (yeah, short-lived experiment; one learns more from mistakes than from success). Two of the four puppies we took in as fosters back in December are still not adopted, which means they're still here, and as part of our effort to make them more adoptable I've begun taking them to training (well, one of them, since that's all I can afford time- and money-wise). I'm still not done with the dog book, but over the last two weeks I made some serious progress. I hope to have that done and delivered to the publisher for another round of edits before the month is out.

The dog book cover, as designed by Everytime Press

Oh, and we had the film festival here in Curaçao two weeks ago, April 5th to 9th. Forty-seven absolutely extraordinary films (well, except one). Impossible to see them all, obviously, but we did manage, with careful logistics planning that included Cor taking off two whole days from work (and one extra one after the festival, just to rest up), to see fifteen of them. Sixteen, if you count the preview film, Jackie, which screened one week before the festival began (and again during the festival, but seeing it beforehand allowed us to fit in one more film over that busy weekend).

Our film-fest booty, courtesy of Cor (who, unlike me, remembers to take photos of these things for posterity):
tickets grouped and stapled by day, from Wed Apr 5th through Sunday Apr 9th.

And I desperately want to share those fifteen (fine, sixteen) films we saw. They were thought-provoking and gorgeous: their narrative styles, the cinematography, the diversity of stories and points of view, their timeliness and value in view of current events. So, as of this week, I'll start posting a review every few days here. No, I won't make the mistake of committing to a certain day of the week or even a fixed (-ish) schedule; we all know how well that's worked out for me in the past. But I do want to share them, for you film-lovers out there, of course, but also for me, as a sort of journal record of the impact these films had on me.

So... See you soon!

12 comments :

  1. Nice to see you in the Blogosphere again, Guilie. Hope all goes well with the foster pups. It must have been so restricting, going back to a regular job. True about learning more from mistakes! Sounds like you had a fabulous time at the film festival. Looking forward to reading about it Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! It's good to be back :) Yes, that job was an experiment gone awry... And I knew it almost as soon as I signed up, but... Well, it's a story for another post :) Looking forward to sharing the film fest highlights with you!

      Delete
  2. You know, I just post those things even when things change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're right in doing so. I really should do it, too... It's just that, if I didn't finish wrapping up the idea, what I wanted to say, then when things change or develop differently, I either want to keep adding to it with whatever new info/thoughts I have, or I feel it's become obsolete. *Sigh*...

      Thanks for the visit, Andrew.

      Delete
  3. Love a good film festival and it sounds as if this one was just that. Your book is so interesting. I'm sure you've included a lot of help for those who would like to rescue and do the right things. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee! Yes, the festival really was good... Though, given the reduced size of the potential audience in a place as small as Curaçao, it can never come even close to the big ones. But for us it's certainly a treat, and something we look forward to every year. Also, because many of the films come from the Rotterdam festival in Holland, there's a larger selection from non-US filmmakers, which gives it a rather more international flair. I hope you enjoy the reviews, and thanks so much for the visit!

      Delete
  4. Hi Guilie - good to see you again and congratulations on the book - shortly to be - well done.

    Looking forward to your reviews - I'm glad I saw Jackie, which I enjoyed. We've just selected our films for the film society next year ... so perhaps you'll have reviewed some that were selected for us (my knowledge is pretty limited!) ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hilary! I've missed you :) So cool about your film society! I'd love to have one of those here. Wouldn't it be awesome if, indeed, you guys had selected some (or even just one!) of the films I just saw. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, and I look forward to your thoughts on the reviews.

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. A lot of happenings and lots of narrations. This is as great as can be, Gullie! The completion of the book is to be pursued. That is a tangible success when finished!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see a post from you! I certainly understand how the world can interfere with our plans to blog. I've decided to give up my idea for a new site as I can barely stay motivated to keep one blog going.
    I'm so thrilled to read that your dog book is closer to completion!! I remember your A-Z posts and know that book will be fantastic.
    Take care, Guilie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...