Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Julieta: Film Reviews from the Curaçao Film Festival #ciffr

Julieta, Pedro Almodóvar, 2016
CIFFR: Thurs Apr 6, 2017

Almodóvar is a little like Quentin Tarantino for me. No, not in style. I mean in the sense that I either adore or abhor their films. No in-between, no middle grounds... Tarantino and Almodóvar, to me, are either geniuses or morons, depending on what film we're talking about. (To be fair, I do like many more Almodóvar films than I do Tarantino ones.)


When I saw Julieta on the film festival roster, and even after reading the (raving) reviews online, I wasn't sure what to expect. Also, this was going to be Cor's first Almodóvar film (I'm still trying to understand how I allowed an entire decade together to pass before I made formal introductions), so I was torn between singing Pedro's praises and toning it down enough to manage expectations, in case it turned out to be a bomb of epic proportions. (Because, let's face it, when Almodóvar bombs, he does it in Miltonian grandiosity.)

But he did not bomb. Julieta will be remembered as one of his masterpieces, along with Volver (2006) and Átame ("Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down", 1989)—and a few of his coming productions-to-be, since this film evidences a newfound maturity that will surely bring us many, many more riveting stories and extraordinary filmmaking.

(And, yes, Cor loved it, too.)

I'm constantly amazed at Almodóvar's uncanny insight into the depths of the female soul. Especially when it comes to mother-daughter relationships. He's done it before, in Tacones Lejanos ("High Heels", 1991), in Todo Sobre Mi Madre ("All About My Mother", 1999), in Volver, certainly—a film which was hailed as "an ode to female resilience" (Wikipedia). And he did it again with Julieta. Adriana Ugarte, who plays the younger Julieta in the film, was quoted as saying,

"It's a mystery, but he can feel how we feel and how we are." 

An absolutely brilliant, brilliant film. Looking forward to the next one, Pedro!




Have you seen it, or are you planning to? I'd love to know what you think if/when you do.

8 comments :

  1. Hi Guilie - it sounds a wonderful film ... heart rending ... I loved Revolver ... so look forward to seeing this sometime ... and am delighted you had such an excellent final film at the festival - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Hilary. Not really heart-rending in any usual way, but nonetheless powerful and profound. You probably meant Volver ("Revolver" is a Guy Ritchie movie, haha)—I loved it, too! This was only the second film we saw at the festival, though... I've taken procrastination to a whole new level for these reviews. At this rate, I won't be done reviewing them before next year's festival is here, hahaha.

      Thanks so much for the visit, Hilary! If/when you do see Julieta, I'd love to hear what you think.

      Delete
  2. I never think Tarantino is a genius. Which is not to say that he hasn't made some films that I like, but none of them have proven to be visionary or insightful in a way that I would call genius.

    I don't think I've seen any Almodovar. Maybe Volver? I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's truly sad... Then again, maybe you won't like Almodóvar. He's a bit of an acquired taste for some of us. Not sure if Julieta is still playing (or ever played) in the US, but if so, this would be a brilliant introduction to his work.

      Delete
  3. This is the first I've heard of Julieta. You've piqued my interest. I saw Volver and liked it very much.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volver really is a masterpiece... So glad you enjoyed it, Janie. And you'll probably love this one, too. If/when you do see it, please let me know what you thought, k?

      Thanks so much for the visit!

      Delete
  4. That trailer is so powerful. Partly the music. Partly the setting. Partly the allure of the director. I'm ready to become involved in it and enjoy the experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that, Lee! When you do get to see it, I'd love to know what you think. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...