Sunday, June 24, 2012

You missed me?

I know, I'm a bad friend. Worse blogger. I've abandoned you, this awesome community of awesomer people, and although I know I don't deserve it, I'd like to humbly ask your forgiveness. I'd also like to explain what I've been up to--no, not an excuse. Just an explanation... And a couple of funny stories.

First: the MS. Did I mention editors are awesome? You missed that post, you say? Well, I'll say it again--sadly, not as well as Chuck Wendig--editors ROCK. And as a result of such rocking, my MS is undergoing some sorely needed reality checks.

REALITY CHECK ONE: the original manuscript took place 90% in 1995, only 10% in 2003. That wasn't working. The 1995 story is lovely and very cute, but it only acquires relevance in retrospect.

And the "retrospect" part was missing--duh. Major oversight. A few minor ones (like tension) also fell short. So I decided to add more into the 2003 timeline.

But the novel already was above 100K. In order to add even the word "retrospect", I had to cut. Yeah. Bitter moments.


REALITY CHECK TWO: Not only was the novel already long, but my editor also happened to drop the hint that there might be some "verbiage" that perhaps didn't add quite as much as I thought it did. 


Yeah--she's too tactful for her own good. But I'm good at reading between the lines, and I started noticing longish sentences, explanatory dialogue, scenes that didn't go anywhere... 


My editor, with a Mona Lisa smile, said, "be ruthless"


Best advice ever


REALITY CHECK THREE: Another gem of a morsel from my editor: you're in love with your MCs. You solve problems for them. You don't let problems happen to them. In other words, m'dear (aka amateur), tension is lacking all over the place. It's not there


Yep, I looked, and--lo and behold. Zilch.


So now, woven into both the 2003 and 1995 timelines, a steel thread of razor-sharp tension has been added. Ok, is being added.


~ * ~


That's my first excuse for dropping the ball on Quiet Laughter here. I have another two for later, funny in a Fawlty Towers way, that I hope will soften your heart and earn me your forgiveness. Even a single iota of--


Yes, that's the prose that got me into trouble in the first place. Let me just say then that I love you, Quiet Laughter readers. I do. From the deepest recesses of my heart and liver, from within emotional places within my psyche that have no name still A lot.

8 comments :

  1. You can't get rid of us that easily, Guilie! Can't wait to read more of the revision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Editing your work is a pretty danged valid thing to focus on - good for you, and good luck with it!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course we missed you! Sounds like you've been doing good work, so absence excused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it sounds like you've been working hard :)

    Glad to have you back though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working hard brings its own reward...exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verbiage is my burden, too, so I salute your time away from here to battle it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed you.
    Lovely ring to "steel thread of razor sharp words"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...